Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekly Agenda #4 & Feedback





BE SURE TO READ THE WEEKLY BLOG TOO!

Nuamin is trying so hard to get a drink of water. It reminds me how hard all of you are all working and how you must feel right now. Feel like you are never quite going to get it? You will, honest. I do know how hard this is and I want you to know I appreciate how hard you are working. Thank you!


I know what we are doing is not easy and takes a lot of time and effort but your efforts will pay off in the end. Conversing naturally, as we are trying to do through these activities will help your fluency. I can already see improvements! Thank you for giving me the freedom to make this class as conversational as possible. I know it can sometime seem a bit too informal, but conversing is the key and to learn to converse, you just have to do it. I know that there is not a lot I can give you to help you translate your assignments, except guidance. Please just remember to look for the concepts of your words and sentences and ask me when necessary. I would be more than happy to help you. Please never hesitate to ask me. You get assignment points in the beginning but you are not being penalized for right or wrong just yet. I will let you know when that is the case.

Feedback to each of you....Can you guess who you are? I believe that positive feedback should be shared publicly. That way we can all see what how each other is doing and learn from it.

Make-up artist..very clear and crisp signing and good pronoun placement. Your style is easy to watch and has a nice smooth quality to it.

Interpreter in Training...I know you were having problems with the vocabulary last week but this week your signs were executed very well. Confidence in self will do wonders.

Future Social Studies Teacher of the Year...Good body shifting when narrating your letter, vocab. is growing. Nice casual style to signing.

Cat Eyes..your signs are becoming clearer each day. You did a good job translating your first Dear Abby letter.

Pretty in Pink..wealth of vocabulary and clear signs. The complexity of your letter was challenging but you did a good job. It is apparent you are signing outside of class!

Banker Boy...Your ability to remember signs is helping you create good translations. Willingness to learn and enjoying the class makes your signing good.

Fisherwoman...Your translations were very good, sign vocab is building nicely. Asking questions is a great way to learn...keep it up and keep them coming.

Newcomer...Catching on very fast! Good signing and nice translations, vocab is increasing daily. Your willingness to accept another Instructor and embracing differences will only enhance your signing!

I Like Them Tall...very good attentiveness, signs are produced very clear and vocab continues to grow, translations good. Your dedication in class is really paying off..you have come a long way already!



I had this schedule in class on the board but I wanted to put it here for you as well.

Week Schedule #4

*For Wednesday's assignment you need to bring a newpaper article to class. Make sure it is brief and not too complex. THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE TRANSLATED. This assignment is not to be translated as our letters where. Instead, we will read them and inform each other what our article is about by paraphrasing.
*Respond to the Blog every Tuesday at 12:00am and Thursday at 12:00am
*Will learn news related vocabulary on Wednesday.
*Friday is a workday. Work on your music video. The final draft is Due the following Friday (Oct. 8th) NOT Monday Oct. 4th.
*Inform the class about your article on Monday Oct. 4)

Check this out on aslpro. It shows how some English phrases are translated into ASL.
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/phrases.cgi

3 comments:

  1. I love that we have the freedom to converse in class. Honestly, I feel that this is how I will gain confidence in signing. I think that confidence is the key in ASl. I certainly have a long way to go,but I feel that signing freely in class is helping me a lot! :) I LOVE ASL <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Josie! It's really nice being able to express ourself just with the "random" things we talk about in class. Also being in Monica's Dignitas class gives me a little more signing experience, especially since she has lost her implant. I find it really find to be able to "translate" for her and the class. It's going to be a great year in both of these classes.

    ReplyDelete