Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ASL Idioms

ASL Idioms and Common Expressions:
1. DO-DO-DO Can mean "what are you doing?" or you are in an awkward situation and wondering how to get out of it.
2. TOUCH+FINISH "Have you been to ...?" or "I have already been to..."
3. VOMIT! "I really hate that" or "I can't stand that" or "That is repulsive"
4. FUNNY^NONE "That's not funny" or "This is nothing to laugh at
5. FEEL+DEFLATED Used to indicate a feeling "flat" or "very small" when you have made a blunder or something you
thought was correct turns out to be wrong.
6. OUT-OF-SIGHT This idiom usually is used for something that is fantastic or for an individual who is superior.
7. O-I-C "Oh, I see"
8. THINK+DISAPPEAR The thought slipped my mind
9. ON-THE-FENCE Similar to the English idiom.
10. SQUARE-MIND Blockhead, nitwit.
11. MIND^FROZEN Shocked, can't think
12. FALL-IN-LOVE Fall head or heels in love with
13. TRAIN-GONE Missed out on
14. BLOW-ONE' TOP Similar to the English idiom
15. WHAT'S-UP "What's up?" "What's happening" "How are you?" Use this sign when you are with friends not new people.
16. FINE!-wiggle Used as a reaction to some humorous human error or joke or as a response to a clever or witty remark.
17. MIND+LIMIT I can't think or take-in anymore just now, or my brain is tired and full
18. I-I-I Egotistic, think only of yourself.
20. STINK Perform badly
21. SWALLOW-PRIDE I felt like a fool, gulp! Oops!
22. TURTLE-NECK Humiliated, embarrassed
23. POINT-BREAK-THROUGH Get your point across, get it into your thick skull
24. BULLDOZE, REJECT Discriminate, outcast, lay-off
25. IN/OUT EARS/EYES Not paying attention, daydreaming, no comprehension
26. YAK-AROUND People are talking about it all over, It was all over town.
27. ONE-UP-ON Gotcha! Take that!
28. BLOW-UP-IN-FACE Back fire
29. GOBBLE-UP Consume time, gas, money
30. GRAB-EYES Fascinating, interesting
31. QUESTION-ON-BRAIN Puzzled, confused
32. BIG-HEAD Egotistical, swell-headed
33. FINE! Repulsive, Unthinkable
34. COW-IT (1) & (2) (1) I'm not crazy about that; (2) very slow, taking forever
35. LEGS-IN-AIR Suddenly stricken ill, or hurt, laid-up
36. BURNING-INSIDE Feeling upset or angry; stewing
37. PAST-HEAD I don't get it; over my head
38. MIND-BLANK Completely forgot about that, can't think of it now
39. NOTHING No problem, means nothing to me
40. HUNGRY++ Passionate, Strong desire

1 comment: